Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Bloggity bloggity bloggity.

What is new? Not a great deal. Not that you, the internet, are probably especially concerned either one way or the other but there you go.

Actually I am quite annoyed. It is a petty and rather pathetic annoyance but they're the sort you can only out on your blog so here goes: I was fortunate enough to be allowed to play some records to make some people dance at Aber Amnesty's fundraiser night, Boogie Rights, about a month and a half ago. Now, I won't pretend it went so amazingly that I had people hanging off me and begging me to allow them to pleasure me or anything but actually I don't think it went too badly- I played a pop set because, y'know, I like pop music but rather than play the sort of pop that Radio One plays (ie: boring pop) I went for some more varied/slightly obscure electro etc. I'd described what I was going to play as 'electropop' but apparently this had somehow translated into 'cheese anthems' in the organisers' brains and so everyone felt I was doing a shit job of it. People did continue to dance but I knew at the time everyone probably thought I'd messed up and yes, possibly but really, I was sandwiched between an indie set and an electroclash set, neither of whom were expected to come out with the latest relevant top 40 hits and both of whom played relatively obscure stuff without anyone going 'ooh that's not very mainstream.' Just because it's pop, people think it has to be their conception of pop (and yes, stfu, I am well aware the conception of 'pop' is 'what is popular' but there's also 'pop as a genre' these days innit) and you can't deviate from that, which is particularly difficult when most people don't seem to know fucking anything about pop as per my conception of pop. I don't think any of the punters had a problem with my set but clearly it's been decided I can't be trusted to play Timbaland so I'm not on the list for the next one.

Nevermind. I mean, they have a lot of people who want to DJ and there're people who are much more active in the society to be given a slot but I still feel slightly wronged about the whole thing. Meh.

Actually I'm just hilariously defensive about my music taste and take it terribly personally when people say it's shit. Which I really ought to get over, seeing as I call other people's taste shit all the time.

2 comments:

xpress said...

Hazel, as much as I hate your music, with passion, I love you, and your too good for them. Your right, they probably just expected mainstream bollocks, and you gave them a kick in perverbal... and I guess thats why they won't invite you back. Im proud of you for it, for sticking to your guns and playing from the heart, in their faces. That is why we live in Min Y Mor, to hide away and listen to our un-listenable music by ourselves, and not to draw attention to our order.

Handy said...

Actually i'd like disagree with this notion that you weren't choosen because of your music taste. I am slightly insulted you think they'd be so rude as to do that.
I just was useless at finding out about dj slots, so bitch about me.. not the society and those who arranged it all.

I feel bad, but i feel annoyed you think they'd be so rude as to do that too. Plus what if they had a massive demande for dj's and decided to give someone who hadn't played a chance... would you have been so quick to judge them then too?